20 Planet-Friendly Gifts for 2020
After the challenges of 2020, many of us are feeling an overwhelming need for an extra sparkly, fun-filled and over-indulgent Christmas. Fear not, we CAN have all these things while keeping our precious planet and home safe! Check out Banyan’s brilliant gift ideas for this festive season below. First up is a selection of sustainable and ethical gifts to open on Christmas morning. And, after the endless decluttering of 2020, many of us have realised the last thing we need is more stuff so we also have a second list of “experience” gifts to make your friends and family smile well into the New Year.
GIFTS THAT KEEP ON GIVING
- Green Queen’s Zero Waste Vegan Cookbook and Plastic Free HK Produce bag bundle. Life is all about making our everyday tasks more special. Inspire your loved one with Green Queen’s mouth watering vegan recipes and help them buy all their ingredients with these reusable produce bags from Plastic Free HK.
- Unique Handbag from Ril Creed. We all love a handbag and need one for every occasion. Based in Hong Kong, the founder Johanna creates limited edition bags made from upcycled material in a woman-led factory. Her beautiful and ethical business is created around sustainability and women empowerment. For a truly unique experience contact Johanna to work on your very own bag design.
- Eco Friendly Hong Kong Games from The Lion Rock Press. Not just for kids, the ever growing selection of Hong Kong games from the Lion Rock Press can teach us all a thing or two about this incredible city we call home. All these games are made from FSC paper, plastic free and fully recyclable. Snakes and Trails and Hong Kong Wildlife Bingo are two of our absolute favourites. Their new Scratch Off Hong Kong Bucket List is full of ideas to fill your Hong Kong holidays, reminding us just how many adventures there are to discover in this unique city.
- Classic Trainers from Laces. These days the classic trainer is a staple of all of our wardrobes. The team behind Laces have brought us a classic shoe with a purpose. Made with upcycled materials and with a donation to Compassion First, a non profit that helps empower survivors of human trafficking, you really do make a difference with every step.
- Good Days Active Wear. Many of us like to kick start a new year with a big health kick, after 2020 we may be feeling this more than ever! Say hello to Good Days. Created with recycled plastic and sustainable materials, this local Hong Kong active wear brand is not just good for you but also for our planet. We love the classic designs and beautiful range of colours – the sea blue burnt rose is a favourite!
- Pre- loved Designer Clothes and Toys from Retykle. Look no further than Retykle for that special party outfit or beautiful new jumper for your little one. Filled with pre-loved and often unworn children’s clothes and toys, Retykle will help you guiltlessly fill those stockings this year.
- World of Myoth Bespoke Skincare blend. With self care high on everyone’s priority list right now choose a beautiful gift to aid your loved ones daily rituals. The World of Myoth bespoke blending service takes into account your specific skin profile and allergens, PLUS it’s fresh, which means it’s packed full of even more goodness. Not only are the little bottles filled with nurturing oils, they are also zero waste allowing you to bring nature into your daily practice without harming it.
- Cookie Smiles Cookies. We all need something sweet in our Christmas stockings. Cookie Smiles is a social enterprise whose purpose to help support two chosen charities per year via fundraising, offer training opportunities for the disadvantaged and provide jobs for the physically impaired. They have delicious treats for both little humans and our furry friends. Great gifts all round.
- Add Sparkle with SodaMagic. Help your friend enjoy sparkling drinks whenever you want without the plastic bottle wastage by gifting them a SodaMagic carbonated drinks machine. Infuse your water with star anise, cranberries, cloves and cinnamon for a Christmas twist.
- Indulge in Guilt-free Chocolate. It’s a sad irony that the chocolate treats we love to indulge our own children with at Christmas are the product of an industry shamed by rampant child labour. Take your stand by purchasing a stunning advent box of chocolates from an ethical company, such as local artisan chocolatier Cacao
THE GIFT EXPERIENCE
- Pink Dolphin Watching. One of the greatest pieces of news in 2020 is that more Pink Dolphins have been spotted in Hong Kong waters. Head out on a day trip with Hong Kong Dolphin Watch to try your luck at seeing these beautiful animals. And if you aren’t lucky enough to spot them, they offer a second trip for free!
- Paragliding in Hong Kong. The perfect gift for your adventurous, thrill seeking friends. Head out to Sai Kung for a tandem flight of the hills. A beautiful way to see Hong Kong from a unique perspective.
- Sunset Survivors Tours of Hong Kong. Explore real Hong Kong while you meet the craftsmen and traders behind this magical city. Hear their stories of how their businesses and the city has changed.
- Staycation in Tai O Heritage Hotel. Staycation is the buzzword of 2020! Give a loved one a night at the beautiful Tai O Heritage Hotel. This boutique hotel is the perfect base to explore the beautiful Lantau trails.
- Crash Course in Wine. If your significant other gets tongue-tied when the sommelier asks their opinion, help them out by booking them into Hong Kong’s most entertaining and enlightening 3hr crash course in wine knowledge!
- Charter a Yacht. Experience the joy of exploring Hong Kong’s beautiful coastline using nothing but the power of wind! Book a sailing yacht or catamaran from a company such as Moments, who offer both day trips locally and overnight trips to explore further afield
- Kayak Hong Kong’s Geopark. For the outdoor sports enthusiast, exploring the stunning rock formations of Sai Kung Country Park is an adventure like no other! Paddle through peaceful mangroves and exciting sea caves under the expert guidance of Wild Hong Kong
- Music Lessons. Whether they love belting out hits at Karaoke nights or strumming their guitar at home, treat them to a series of professional music or singing lessons to really hone their skills. Both beginner and advance lessons are available at the renowned M.int Academy
- Coffee Brewing Lessons. Help the coffee addict in your life say goodbye to polluting coffee capsules by sending them on a barista course! The experts at The Coffee Academics can teach them everything they need to know about their favourite vice and how to brew it to perfection at home, while Impact Berry sells delicious ethical and sustainable coffee.
- Helps Others in Need. Play your part in making Hong Kong a better place for every member of society this Christmas by volunteering at one of the city’s many worthy charities. Join a packing shift at Feeding Hong Kong, help walk the dogs at Sai Kung Stray Friends or organize a beach clean with Plastic Free Seas – there are so many ways to make a difference!
And for a BONUS gift: Why not indulge the entrepreneur in your life by giving them the gift of a membership at Banyan Workspace?? Click HERE to discover our new membership rates, including our special ultra-flexible day pass bundle that is perfect for that fresh start in 2021!